Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Counteroffers a Flyin'

Our realtor called with a counteroffer from the sellers around 8:30pm last night, a day earlier than expected! We are so grateful they responded quickly. We had offered $24K less than the list price, and they counteroffered with $10K under the list price instead. Although we might have dreamed of less, we also feared it could be higher, so it was a great relief!

So then we had to decide whether to accept that price, or to counteroffer at a lower price. Although we can afford the current number, a slight reduction would give us some really nice breathing room the first month for furniture and such. And there's no harm in trying - except that it leaves the house on the market for at least another day, during which someone else could make an offer and force us to compete, which would be very bad for the price. Whereas if we just accept their counteroffer, the house is ours!

David's not quite as attached to the house as I am (although he really likes it), so he left it up to me whether to risk it or not. Arggggh! When did I become a grown-up that has to make such major decisions? I pondered it until late last night and finally decided to go for it - I made a counteroffer for $4,000 less than the reduced price.

I sent an e-mail to our realtor after midnight with my decision and she replied at 6:45am this morning with all the documents to sign. She has really been working hard now that we're making an offer! I got up at 8am (= the crack of dawn), signed the documents, and ran out the door to drive them to her office, which isn't far down the road.

She had an off-site meeting at 9:15, but people in her office scanned them in, e-mailed them to her, and she e-mailed them on to the seller's agent. So now we wait anxiously another day for their response! I'll post the news when we get it.

No comments: