Friday, August 17, 2007

Travel plans: now and later

Sorry for the lack of posts this week, but I just haven't had anything to report. We didn't do much last weekend and we just had a normal week of work. It has also been pouring down rain and pretty cold again, so we haven't been out taking any pretty pictures.

So far I haven't had another Morocco post in me, but maybe next week I'll get to that. But we'll have something else interesting to post about soon, as we are going to Ireland in a week! We will be there for 9 days, Sat Aug 25 through Sun Sept 2.

We are going to drive, and we've booked our ferry crossing from the Holyhead peninsula, which is north of Wales near Liverpool (a four-hour drive from here). The ferry goes across to Dublin, where we'll stay for 3 nights before driving a loop around the south of the island. Can't wait!

In the meantime, the best I can do is post a few pictures of a very cool place I worked on for my website this week. It's an ancient city in the south of Italy called Paestum, which has not one but three ancient Greek temples built around 500 BC. And there are sandy beaches nearby and the region is known for its delicious buffalo mozzarella. Heaven! I really hope we might make it there next year.


Temple of Ceres (500 BC), later used as a church.


Temple of Hera (550 BC)


Temple of Neptune (500 BC)


A cool Greek tomb mural in the on-site museum, featuring a diver that's said to represent the transition from life to death. Or maybe the deceased just liked diving!


The beach nearby. Sigh.

My article includes a big, pretty photo gallery and nifty interactive maps, so if you've got time to kill, make a virtual visit to Paestum here. I love my job! :)

No comments: