Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fun with Google Earth

Sorry for the interruption in the Switzerland travel report - I've been working hard to finish a long-time web project by the end of the week so I can concentrate on school next week. The break sure went fast!

The project was to upload as many of my "sacred destinations" as possible to a file that opens in Google Earth. If you're not familiar with this super-fun program, it's a free gadget from Google that allows you to look at satellite imagery of the whole planet. You can fly over Paris, London, the Pyramids, and your own house! There's more info and downloads here: earth.google.com.

So far I've managed to get 557 locations (including most of the places we visited in Switzerland!) plotted with coordinates, summarized, enhanced with a nice photo, and linked to articles on my website. I've even made custom icons with symbols corresponding to the type of site - church, temple, museum, etc. If you open my file in Google Earth, this is what it looks like:


In about 4-6 weeks when Google does their next update, my markers will show up on everyone's version of Google Earth! I'm hoping that will bring more visitors to my website, and therefore more household income for all those school and travel expenses!

I also worked extra hard to make the placemarks attractive and informative in the hopes of getting into the Google Earth Showcase. That would really be something, and would bring my website lots of attention.

In the meantime, though, the only way to see my markers on Google Earth is to open the file I made. If you have Google Earth or might want to try it out, go here for more info and the link:

Explore Sacred Sites on Google Earth

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: