I feel bad that I have not been able to post more and thought I should add a couple of things. First I am really excited about the O2 job, even though it is just this side of London. Fortunately the train from Oxford goes 120 miles per hour and only makes one stop between here and Slough, making the trip in 32 minutes. It would be an hour by car. The downside of this nice train is that it is expensive at about $20 per day, which oddly enough is workable as the pay is nearly double my previous best. I am sure I will get tired of the commute (as always) but I think it will almost always be better then highways 26 and 217. And with a little luck, maybe I can get O2 to give me a good deal on wireless high speed internet for my laptop!
I think the actual work will be more interesting then I am used to and could involve some fun perks. O2 sponsors all of the top UK sports teams, be it soccer, rugby or formula one car racing. I will definitely be giving this opportunity my all.
I love the Slough train station. While it is mostly an ordinary train station, there is one unique thing about it. Being that Slough is just outside of London and on the main rail line to almost anywhere to the north or west, there are a lot of trains coming through the station. The great part about this is that they come through the station at full speed! My first visit I about had a heart attack as one blew two feet past me at 120! I proceeded to find a strategic position, slightly further away from the edge, and watch more come by for the next half hour or so. It really is incredible as you cannot hear them until they are next to you and then it is extremely loud.
Lastly, Slough is home to Legoland and only about 2 miles from Windsor (the awesome castle) and Eton (another fancy British college). I think there will be a lot of opportunity to explore the area. I suspect I will also be able to talk Holly into occasionally meeting me at the train station after work and then heading into London for food and movies.
Should be an adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment