Sunday, September 09, 2007

Cathedral hunting

This Tuesday morning David has to be in Leeds again for a meeting, so he will stay Monday night there. I've decided to take the opportunity to do my own "business trip" that I've long been planning, but with some difficulty given my lack of a train station - a photographic tour of the cathedrals of Peterborough, Ely, Norwich and Lincoln. They are all grouped fairly close together on main train lines near the east coast, and are all on my "must-see" list before leaving England.

My big solo adventure will begin by riding with David into work tomorrow morning, then taking the train from Slough to London Paddington, then the Tube to London King's Cross, then the 45-minute train ride north to Peterborough. Then short train trips east to Ely and Norwich before heading further north to Leeds for the night, which will be about a 3- or 4-hour journey. Quite a long and tiring day, but a pretty fun one!

David is going to drive to Leeds from work in the afternoon, and I'll get to join him in his plush and company-paid room at the Malmaison Leeds (wahoo!) after he's done with his "team-building" activities in the evening (i.e., dinner and bowling).

Tuesday morning is the meeting at Leeds O2, and I'll get back on the train for the two-hour trip to Lincoln - an especially good and big cathedral, where part of The Da Vinci Code movie was filmed (as a stand-in for Westminster Abbey). Then I'll return to Leeds by the time he's ready to head south again in the late afternoon. Whew! So a busy start to the week for us.

Pictures and report to be posted here, of course! In the meantime, the next post below has some more pics of Ireland.

No comments: